Admission for M.S.E and Ph.D.
- June 30 for Fall admission.
- November 30 for Spring admission.
- April 30 for Summer admission.
Admission Deadlines to be considered for a GTA/GRA position
- January 15 for Summer and Fall admission
- October 15 for Spring admission
Supporting documents that should be uploaded to your online application
- Your personal statement
- Your resume
- Three letters of recommendation-You will submit the names and email addresses when you apply. The system will automatically email them and request that they upload their letter to your online application.
Supporting documents that should be sent to the department
- One official copy of your academic transcript from each college or university attended sent directly to the departmental address listed below. Note: A final degree transcript will also be required if you submit your application before you graduate from your undergraduate or master’s program. (example: submit in March, graduate in May).
- Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University’s mode of instruction is English.
- GRE scores need to be sent directly to us from the Educational Testing Center (KU Institution code 6871, Department code 3909
Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University’s mode of instruction is English.
International students are required to provide evidence of English Proficiency prior to admittance to the Graduate program, there will be no exceptions. Acceptable exams are TOEFL written score of 570 with all sections 57 or above; TOEFL computer score of 230 with all sections 23 or above and 40 on the essay or TOEFL internet score of 88 with all section 23 or above and 19 on essay; or IELTS with a band copy. Test scores should be sent directly to the departmental address listed below.
International students are not offered assistantships or other financial aid during their first year of study. You should be able and prepared to finance the entire stay. You will need to provide an official bank statement that you have $32,311 in a bank account to support your studies at the University of Kansas. If someone else will be supporting you, we will need a bank statement and a letter signed by that person indicating that they will be responsible for you financially. These statements should be uploaded to the online application.
Minimum Admission Requirements (M.S.E and Ph.D.)
- 3.5 GPA, regular doctoral admission (3.0 - 3.49 GPA, provisional admission)
- 3.0 GPA regular masters admission (2.75 - 2.99 GPA, provisional admission)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores
- M.S.E Admission: 150 on the verbal section, 141 on the quantitative section, and 4.0 on the written analytical section.
- Ph.D. Admission: 153 on the verbal section, 144 on the quantitative section, and 4.5 on the written analytical section.
Students applying for a M.S.E thesis option or Ph.D. program must contact a faculty member in their specialization area for a required interview.
Admission committees, made up of faculty in the specialization areas, will review all completed applications. Due to limited spaces in the specialization areas, meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the HSES graduate programs.