Dr. Bernie Kish is a Lecturer in Sport Management in the School of Education at the University of Kansas. Prior to this appointment in the Fall of 2005, he served as the first Executive Director of the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Indiana for ten years. He also worked in the University of Kansas Athletics Department from 1992 until 1995.
A career military officer, he served in the US Army for over 29 years, completing his service as a Full Colonel. His service included tours in Vietnam and Cambodia plus two four year tours in the Federal Republic of Germany as well as several stateside assignments.
Dr. Kish is a graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a Master's Degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and a Doctorate in Higher Education from the University of Kansas. Dr. Kish and his wife Judy make their home in Lawrence. They have two daughters, Keri, an attorney in Kansas City, Missouri and Kathryn Hayman, a public relations and marketing director in Beverly Hills, California.
Dr. Kish teaches courses in Sport Management including Personnel Management in Sport, Sport Ethics, Sport Facilities and Event Management at the undergraduate level and Sport Facilities at the graduate level.
- Personnel Management
- Sport Ethics
- Sport Facilities
- Events Management
- Pre-Internship Seminar
- Sport Management
(2015). Crimson and Blue. An Era of Athletic Achievement.
Chapter 8. In . (Ed.), Transforming the University of Kansas. A History, 1965-2015. Edited by John Rury and Kim Cary Warren. .
- Ph.D, Education, Policy and Leadership, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, 1998
- MPA, Master of Public Administration, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, 1973
- BS, Geography and Social Studies, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana Pennsylvania, 1960
- HOPE (Honor for Outstanding Progressive Educator) Teaching Award, University of Kansas, November 2011
- Joyce Elaine Pauls-Morgan Teaching Award, Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences, 2010
- Distinguished Alumnus, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2004
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Athletic Hall of Fame, 2000
- Indiana County Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame, 2002
Courses Currently Teaching
|HSES||382||Sport Facilities and Event Management|
|HSES||487||Personnel Management in SPort|