Children's Swim Program at KU
Every effort is made to provide a fun and safe learning and swimming environment at Robinson Center Swimming Pools. Lessons are taught by Red Cross Water Safety Instructors with the help of students from the Water Safety Instruction classes.
Children's Swim Program sessions include:
- Introductions to water safety skills appropriate for different age groups;
- Blowing bubbles & getting faces wet in the water;
- Practicing front & back float, crawl, glide off wall;
- Learning rotary breathing (side breathing) for front crawl;
- Learning basic kicks and strokes (breast stroke, butterfly stroke, scissor kick, etc.)
- Treading in deep water, learning safe diving rules, and more!
Each child is required to wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. No cutoffs or shorts will be allowed. If not toilet-trained, each child will also need to wear snug fitting rubber pants. We encourage the use of cloth diapers (disposable diapers absorb too much water and become heavy when wet).
Schedules & Registration:
Register your child for a 10-lesson session. Individual lesson schedules will vary based on class.
- Summer 2017 Session: June 5 - July 28 on M-F (1:45-2:45 p.m.) | View the Summer 2017 schedule (pdf).
Deadline to register is the Friday before the first day of the session(s).
Cost to Participate:
- Reduced* Rate: $25 for one child and $20 for each additional child in the same family;
- Regular Rate: $50 for one child and $40 for each additional child in the same family.
*The David and Margaret Shirk Physical Education Programs Fund provides financial support for families and children to participate in the Children's Swim Program at a reduced rate. Future youth activity prices subject to change.
Document Required* For Registration:
Photo/Video Release (pdf)
*Participants can either upload the release in the online registration form, or bring hard copy(ies) on the first day. Day-of registration is welcome, though registration will not be accepted after the first day of lessons.