Children's Swim Program at KU
Every effort is made to provide a fun and safe learning and swimming environment at Robinson Center Swimming Pools. Lessons are taught by Red Cross Certified lifeguards. Age groups range from 6 months to 5+ years old. View the Children Swim Program Level Descriptions (pdf) for age groups and specific class times. Questions? Email Pool Manager Brian Sussman at email@example.com.
Children's Swim Program sessions include:
- Introductions to water safety skills appropriate for different age groups;
- Blowing bubbles & getting faces wet in the water;
- Practicing front & back float, crawl, glide off wall;
- Learning rotary breathing (side breathing) for front crawl;
- Learning basic kicks and strokes (breast stroke, butterfly stroke, scissor kick, etc.)
- Treading in deep water, learning safe diving rules, and more!
Each child is required to wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. No cutoffs or shorts will be allowed. If not toilet-trained, each child will also need to wear snug fitting rubber pants or a swim diaper.
Schedules & Registration:
Register your child for a 10-lesson session. Individual lesson schedules will vary based on level.
- Session 1: Summer 2018 session 1 will run M-Th, June 11 to June 26. Sessions run 1:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Session 2: Summer 2018 session 2 will run M-Th, July 9 to July 24. Sessions run 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Please note, dates are subject to change. Deadline to register for summer 2018 is the Friday before the first session date at 11:59. View the detailed Spring 2018 schedule here.
Cost to Participate:
- Reduced* Rate: $25 for one child and $20 for each additional child in the same family;
- Regular Rate: $50 for one child and $40 for each additional child in the same family.
*The David and Margaret Shirk Physical Education Programs Fund provides financial support for families and children to participate in the Children's Swim Program at a reduced rate. Future youth activity prices subject to change.
Register Online (coming soon)
Document Required* For Registration: Liability Waiver & Photo/Video Release (pdf)
*Participants can either upload the release in the online registration form, or bring hard copy(ies) on the first day. Day-of registration is welcome, though registration will not be accepted after the first day of lessons.