Hawk Fitness Academy at KU
KU's youth exercise program. Children ages 5-10 will be given the opportunity to learn exercise skills that can be used for a lifetime in a FUN environment with guidance from trained and knowledgeable instructors. Performing these skills will build your child’s confidence in exercise and will make it easier for your child to continue exercise during preadolescence to adulthood.
Hawk Fitness Academy sessions include:
- Warm Up: Hops, skips, crawling, and sport skills (dribbling basketball, throwing & catching);
- Exercises: Medicine ball (squats, presses, throws, etc.); Aerobic bar (squats, deadlifts, presses); Box jumps; Ladder & Cone drills;
- Fun: Sessions are designed considering a child's psychological framework. Exercises are brief, keep the child moving, and are performed within obstacle courses.
Schedules & Registration:
Register your child for a 5-week session that works best for your family's schedule. Each session meets 2 days per week:
- Session 1: May 30 - June 29, 2017 on T/Th (Lawrence, 9-9:50 a.m. -or- Overland Park, 11-11:50 a.m.);
- Session 2: July 11 - Aug. 10, 2017 on T/Th (Lawrence, 9-9:50 a.m. -or- Overland Park, 11-11:50 a.m.).
Deadline to register is the Friday before the first day of the session(s).
Cost to Participate:
- Reduced* Rate: $50 per child, per 5-week session;
- Regular Rate: $225 per child, per 5-week session.
*The David and Margaret Shirk Physical Education Programs Fund provides financial support for families and children to participate in the Hawk Fitness Academy at a reduced rate. Future youth activity prices subject to change.
Meet the Director:
Trent J. Herda, Ph.D., is an assistant professor and is currently the Director of the Neuromechanics Laboratory and the Hawk Fitness Academy. Dr. Herda completed his doctoral work in exercise physiology at the University of Oklahoma under the mentorship of Dr. Joel Cramer. Dr. Herda received... more
Documents Required* For Registration:
Release of Liability | Photo/Video Release
*Participants can either upload each release on the online registration form, or bring hard copies of each release on the first day. Day-of registration is welcome.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 785-864-2224.