The mission of the Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences at the University of Kansas is to educate students through the study and practice of the health sciences and the art of human movement. The department's specific mission is to:
- Provide quality undergraduate preparation for teacher certification in health and physical education;
- Provide quality undergraduate preparation for health, exercise science and sport science professionals;
- Provide quality opportunities for graduate studies leading to the Master's and Doctorate degrees with areas of emphasis in health, human performance and physical development;
- Add to the body of knowledge in the fields of study through faculty and student research and other forms of scholarship;
- Provide educational opportunities for all students of the University by offering basic instruction in skill development and health/fitness education;
- Provide meaningful professional opportunities for students, faculty and staff of the University.
The department is dedicated to the principle of providing a variety of educational experiences and related professional opportunities for students and faculty as the resources (personnel, time and facilities) will permit, and to continually work for improved programs and expanded resources.
Community Engagement Opportunities
Preparing Educators as Leaders
Review the School’s Conceptual FrameworkView the school's mission & vision