Hawk Fitness Academy at KU
Due to COVID-19, the status of this year’s Hawk Fitness Academy is to be determined. For updates on how the university is monitoring COVID-19, please visit coronavirus.ku.edu.
KU's youth exercise program. Children ages 5-12 will be given the opportunity to learn exercise skills that can be used for a lifetime in a fun environment with guidance from trained and knowledgeable instructors. Performing these skills will build your child’s confidence in exercise and will make it easier for your child to continue exercise during pre-adolescence to adulthood.
Hawk Fitness Academy sessions include:
- Pre- & Post-Assessments: Body composition; upper & lower body strength; and speed;
- Warm Up: Hops, skips, crawling, and sport skills (dribbling basketball, throwing & catching);
- Exercises: Medicine ball (squats, presses, throws, etc.); aerobic bar (squats, deadlifts, presses); box jumps; ladder & cone drills;
- Fun: Sessions are designed considering a child's psychological framework. Exercises are brief, keep the child moving, and are performed within obstacle courses.
Schedules & Registration:
Register your child for an 8-week session that works best for your family's schedule. Each session meets 2 days per week. View the full schedule here (pdf).
- Overland Park Session (KU Edwards Campus): Summer 2020 session meets on Mondays & Wednesdays from 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., beginning June 1.
- Lawrence Session (KU Main Campus): Summer 2020 session meets on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., beginning June 2.
The deadline to register is the Friday before the first day of the session(s).
Cost to Participate:
Scholarship funding is available for the first 20 registered participants at each session location (Lawrence & Overland Park).
- Reduced* Rate: $100 per child;
- Regular Rate: $405 per child.
*The David and Margaret Shirk Physical Education Programs Fund provides financial support for families and children to participate in the Hawk Fitness Academy at a reduced rate. Future youth activity prices subject to change.